Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Basics: Granola

Years ago, I picked up a 1973 Los Angeles Times Natural Foods Cookbook for $1.10 ... or at least that's the price that is penciled on the inside cover.  Over the years it has inspired and educated (I don't think I'll ever make an edible soy loaf and I'm okay with that).

One of the inspiration recipes is for granola.  I'm not going to post it here though.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great recipe if you like your granola to be more oat brittle candy than muesli.  While it did not become my go to recipe for granola, it taught me how to make granola.  My husband and I both love the stuff and it's stupidly expensive to purchase.  It is also frequently very high in sugar, fat, and all manner of unpronounceable additives.  What if I just wanted grains and nuts with a little edge of sweet?  Could I do that?  Well, yes, it turns out I could ... and even better ... it was easy and cheap.

The Proportions
10  Cups of old fashioned rolled oats (or any rolled grain you like)
  2  Cups of coarsely chopped almonds (or any other nut you like)
1/2 Cup oil
1/2 Cup honey  

The Method
Mix the grains and nuts together in a large pan (I use my big turkey roaster). 
Simmer oil and honey in a small pot over medium heat until it just comes to a boil.
Drizzle oil and honey mixture over grains and nuts. 
Toss to coat evenly.
Bake in a 250 degree oven for about one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Bake until a deep golden brown, remove from oven, dump onto a large cookie sheet and let cool completely before storing in airtight containers. 

The Tips
Good rolled oats, once well toasted, are sweet in and of themselves.  You do not need a lot of added sugars to make great granola.  Having said that, play around with the proportions of oil/sweeter to grains/nuts until you find what you like.  You can make everything from granola candy to toasted oats following this general method.

Some people love dried fruit in their granola.  We're some people.  Never bake the dried fruit in your granola, unless you are trying to establish a college fund for your dentist's children. 

Play around with sweetener options - brown sugar, molasses, different types of honey, agave nectar, maple syrup.  The batch I made tonight is oat and almond with honey and agave nectar.  Tomorrow I'll eat some with fresh blueberries and thick yogurt.  Mmm... 

3 comments:

  1. Dang, now everyone can make affordable, custom blended granola!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like my recipe, with less 'other' grains! i look forward to reading more recipes here (=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Marie! Perfect recipe, and then easy to play with by adding different odds and ends! : )

    ReplyDelete